Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Barefoot Samurai Lives!

It's been quite a while since my last post, and with apologies this new one is not about painting or gaming. However, I am slated to host a Lion Rampant game at the annual big convention, Enfilade!, here in the Pacific NW in a couple of weeks. So without further ado, here is a set of samurai armor that arrived today. I only ordered it a little over two weeks ago from Little Star Enterprises, Inc. - the US retailer for Iron Mountain Armory.  The price is very reasonable and the quality impressive.
Unlike European Medieval armor, I was able to put the entire kit on by myself. The pieces are secured by tying straps and the use of toggles for do/cuirass and sode/spaulders.
The range of motion is as good as if no armor is worn.
All the parts of the armor laid out. I ordered the lowest grade (read cheapest) armor, but the armorer upgraded parts like the haidate/cuisse and kote/armored sleeves for free. The menpo/face mask is one piece - the higher grades have the nose detachable. It's spot welded, so I may try to separate it.
I shortened the laces of the kusazuri/tassets by tying the laces together on the inside. I plan to modify the straps for the haidate/cuisse so they are worn like suspenders instead of being tied around the waist. I may also add ties to the back of them too, to keep them from flapping around while moving.
The nodawa/throat guard is laced to the menpo - so it's all or nothing with the face and neck guard.
Batter up!
Cheers from the Frugal Armory!

33 comments:

  1. Great to see you are back Dean! Stunning looking samurai armour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's been a long time, and I've been remiss visiting all of your blogs. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. That is mightily impressive Dean. An awesome set of armour! I find the contrast and comparison between European armours and Japanese armours of the time fascinating.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason! Yes, a bit like their present-day cars! :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Welcome back in new armour! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! I know you've been busy with superb artwork during my absence. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Amazing looking armour there Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike! Appreciate the visit and kind words. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. Holy crap that's awesome mate! Another fine addition to the Armoury. Glad all is well.
    Cheers, Nate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nate! Yes, it's a suit I just "had" to get - I have to slyly set it up in the living room - the one thing my wife doesn't want another in :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. It is hard to keep a good blogger down, especially one dressed in Samurai armour - tremendous Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Michael. This suit is really fun to wear too - watch out office Halloween party! :) Regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Looks like the armour from The Last Samurai, very beautiful and glad you're alive Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much, Fran! I like the red a lot - in spite of the Cruise character also wearing it :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  8. Well that's a cool outfit! I would like to own a set of Japanese Samurai armor someday.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher. The prices for the basic sets aren't bad IMO. I don't spend $$ on things like cars and bars, so saving up wasn't too difficult :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Dean, have you got access to footwear? If not, drop me a line at prufrock DOT japan AT gmail DOT com and I'll see if I can find something appropriate to send over for you. You look great in that gear!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words, and offer of assistance, Aaron! Growing up in Hawaii there was always cheap tabis around - for folks who used them to walk on reefs while spear fishing and such. I may be contacting you in the future. Warmest Regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Happy to see you still alive...and with a great armor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Phil! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Oh snap!!! I sooo have to get myself a set. I imagine myself walking into my kitchen, in full armor, snapping orders to my wife to make me some breakfast! The next scene would be the chaos of her chasing the red devil from his home!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I think the kids at school would have a hoot if you walked into class like that too! See you at Enfilade! next week! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Howdy Dean, wrong somebody you know named Kevin:) I live in Michigan, Enfilade would be really pricey for me to go to, probably the same price of a suit of armor!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    3. Oops, thought you were the one here :)! Sorry about that. Thanks in any case! Dean

      Delete
  12. Thats fabulous dude it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! Thanks for the visit and kind words. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. hello. I am korean. I`m looking for imjin war wargame :)

    ReplyDelete